Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Introduction

Food Tour of Iowa: Introduction
Why should anyone ever write a blog about Iowa? Its cold in the winter, hot in the summer, and only has pigs and corn. That’s true, and that’s what I originally though when I came to Grinnell College, a small college in the heart of rural Iowa, from my home in Los Angeles. But I went beyond that.

As my first year at college wore on, I realized that instead of looking at what Iowa doesn’t have, I should look at what it does have. My mother, who grew up in Iowa, helped me realize that Iowa has more than just cornfields and small towns. As an avid foodie and adventurous eater, I had not expected much from Iowa. Now I realize that it has a wealth of culinary experiences and products to sample from. From prosciutto to goat cheese, to farm fresh milk and yogurt, Iowa has more than just meets the eye.

The purpose of this blog is to prove that Iowa, in fact, has things in it. It has fantastic local producers who are passionate about high quality and sustainable food, and that its restaurants are taking advantage of those local producers.

I hope you will join me as I roam around Iowa, sampling the gourmet products that this bountiful and fertile state has to offer.

No comments: