Saturday, February 21, 2009

My Mom's Tour of Iowa: Pella

My Mom was recently here, and we went to Pella. Here are some photo highlights:

MOD_6866.JPG

Above: They celebrate Tulip Time in Pella during May. This is the tulip time monument.

MOD_6869.JPG

Above: The interior of Ulricht's Meat Market, in Pella. Mmmmm...bologna and blue cheese.

MOD_6873.JPG

Above: I don't know what that is, but it sounded cool.

MOD_6876.JPG

Above: Jaarsma bakery. One of the best bakeries in the state. I bought an apple fritter, almond crispie and a straberry rhubarb pie.

MOD_6884.JPG

Above: A nutritious breakfast of "chicken pot pie over biscuits." It was a lot better than it looked. The biscuits were light and fluffy, and the chicken pot pie "topping" soaked beautifully into the biscuit.

MOD_6887.JPG

Above: One of my almond crispies from Jaarsma bakery. The outside was SO flaky; probably some of the best, most tender and beautifully layered pastry crust I have ever had the pleasure of eating.

No comments: